Cowboys edge Bengals – The Gilmer Mirror

By Elwyn Henderson

The 0-1 Dallas Cowboys took on the Cincinnati Bengals 0-1 at AT&T Stadium in a game they desperately needed to win since quarterback Dak Prescott was sidelined 4-8 weeks with the injury handball he suffered against Tampa Bay on opening night. loss to the Bucs.

Dallas received the kick off from Evan McPherson to start the game. The kick went into the end zone and Dallas started their first possession with Cooper Rush under center.

The Cowboys landed a first down in possession and then decided to go for 4e and 2 of their 43. The gamble paid off when Rush hit Noah Brown for a 17-yard gain to Bengal 39. Rush led the team into the end zone for the first score when he hit 9-yard rush with 8:35 left in the first quarter. Brett Maher added the PAT and Dallas led 7-0.

After Maher was ejected from the end zone after the score, Joe Burrow and the Bengal attack took the field for the first time.

Dallas gave up a first down and appeared to have forced a punt on the next series, but Anthony Barr was called for unnecessary roughing, giving the Bengals new life after a 15-yard penalty. The penalty allowed the visitors to move upfield, but the Dallas defense forced a 44-yard McPherson field goal with 3:05 left in the quarter to make it 7-3. The drive was 11 plays, 40 yards and was 5:30 behind.

Dallas returned to the field with long passes to Brown and Tony Pollard, who was taken down inside the 1. Dallas scored on the next play when Pollard arrived from the 1 with 17 seconds left in the first quarter. Maher added the extra point and the Cowboys extended the lead to 14-3. The drive was 6 plays, 75 yards and took 2:48.

The Cowboys forced a three-and-out. After a fine capture of a 46-yard punt from Kevin Huber, Dallas returned to work on offense for the third time. After scoring a first down on possession, Brian Anger was forced to return the ball to the Bengals. The 42-yard punt was just caught on the 15th and Burrow and company hit the field again.

They went down to the Dallas 42 and Huber returned the ball. The ball was caught well on the 11th and Rush got his men back on the pitch. The attack managed to move to Bengal 48 before Anger had to send the ball to Bengal 13.

The Dallas defense force another punt from Cincy and DeVontae Turpin returned the kick near midfield, allowing the Cowboys one more chance to add to the lead before the end of the half.

The Bengals held firm on defense and with 14 seconds left in the half, Maher came in to attempt a 54-yard field goal. The kick was good and Dallas increased the lead to 17-3 with 9 seconds left in the half. The drive was 6 plays, 13 yards and took just 41 seconds.

Burrow took a knee and the half ended with the Cowboys leading 17-3.

The Bengals received the ball and entered the shooting range. The practice ended when McPherson made a 50-yard field goal with 9:41 left in the third quarter. This reduced Dallas’ lead to 17-6. The practice went 11 plays, 43 yards and was 5:19 behind.

After holding off the Cowboys on their next possession, Burrow and company put another long drive together before the Dallas defense forced a 46-yard McPherson field goal with 4:05 left in the third quarter. The 3 point reduced the lead to 17-9. The drive was 3:53 behind and was 7 plays, 31 yards.

The next score came when Burrow led his unit into the end zone with 3:45 left in the game when he hit Tee Higgins from 5 yards out. The visitors went for 2 and Burrow hit Tyler Boyd for the 2-point conversion to level the score at 17-17. The drive was an incredible 19 plays, 83 yards and took 8:54 in the fourth quarter clock.

The Cowboys were unable to move the ball on their next possession and Anger returned the ball. He was just caught by the Bengals at their 8 where they had 2:13 left in regulation play to try to score again and win the game.

Knowing they had to prevent a hard drive, the Cowboys forced a three-and-out, forcing a Huber punt from his 16. The kick went to the Dallas 25 and Turpin returned the ball until at 35 where the Cowboys started with 57 seconds left to try to win the game in regulation play.

Rush moved the offense up the field collecting two critical first downs. The timer the ball on 2n/a down with 3 seconds left in regulation play, setting up a 50-yard field goal by Maher to win the game. The kick was good and the Cowboys went 1-1 on the year with the 3-point tiebreaker to end the game.

A very excited head coach, Mike McCarthy, meets the media after the big win.

“We knew it was going to be a big challenge, but it’s very rewarding to see your football team not blinking after last Sunday and then having a good week. We’re young in places. Some of our young guys have did some great things but they made some mistakes, and that’s where you want to be. You want to win football games and have the opportunity to correct and grow and that’s where we’ll come out of this. That was a great win I’m so happy for our players just the focus and energy they put into this situation and then you go down and win the Game. I’m so happy for Brett (Maher). He comes home and hits the game winner. He got the game ball; great team win!

When he came in for a postgame presser, Cooper Rush, who was only starting his second game in the NFL, was asked how important a game it was, and he replied, “Yeah, it was a big game for us. You don’t want to fall to 0-2; need that first victory. The defense obviously kept us in it tonight and in the end we got the job done.

Things don’t get any easier for the Cowboys as they travel to the Meadowlands next Monday night, September 26.e to face the surprising New York Giants 2-0 who lead the NFC East after 2 games.