Cinematographer Halyna Hutchins was shot by actor Alec Baldwin while filming a scene for the western movie Rust in New Mexico
Halyna Hutchins’ husband has reportedly hired lawyers and is preparing to take legal action after the cinematographer was killed on the set of the movie Rust.
The 42-year-old was shot dead by Hollywood actor Alec Baldwin while filming a scene for the movie in New Mexico.
She was killed and director Joel Souza injured after the actor fired a gun he allegedly accused was a “white gun” during a rehearsal last month.
Now, Halyna’s husband, Matthew, is said to be preparing to file a wrongful death lawsuit.
According to TMZ, he has hired a Los Angeles-based firm and sources told the outlet that there will be multiple defendants in the lawsuit that will be filed on his behalf and on behalf of the couple’s nine-year-old son, Andros.
The firm’s website says its lawyers specialize in personal injury and wrongful death litigation.
Although no charges have been announced by the Santa Fe County District Attorney and the Sheriff’s Department, they continue to investigate Halyna’s death and say all options are still on the table.
The Bureau says it believes a live ammunition was loaded into the gun that killed her on Oct. 21.
Meanwhile, lawyers for the gunsmith in charge of on-set weapons are reportedly investigating whether an individual put a live bullet into a box of dummy cartridges in an attempt to “sabotage the set”.
Jason Bowles and Robert Gorence – lawyers for gunsmith Hannah Gutierrez-Reed – today said they will investigate the events as they seek to find out if the bullet was placed in the dummy box on purpose.
Bowles told Today, “I think anybody doing that would want to sabotage the set, want to prove they’re right, want to say they’re unhappy, they’re unhappy.
“And we know that people had left the set the day before.”
The latest news comes a day after Baldwin shared a post from a crew member denying there were any security issues on set.
Costume designer Terese Magpale Davis, who said she worked on the film, took to social media to refute the claims.
She said “the story being told of us being overworked and surrounded by dangerous and chaotic conditions is bulls**t”.
The lengthy message was later shared by the actor on his personal Instagram account with the caption “read this”.
Have a story to sell? contact us at [email protected] or call us directly on 0207 29 33033.